There are a number of widely accepted criteria which make a patient suitable for Bariatric or weight loss surgery:
- Weight greater than 45kg above the ideal body weight for sex, and height.
- BMI > 40 alone or >35.
- Associated with an obesity illness , such as diabetes or sleep apnoea.
- Previous attempts at other weight loss methods including diet and/or drugs.
- Obesity related health illnesses.
- No psychiatric or drug dependency problems.
- A capacity to understand the risks and commitment associated with the surgery.
There is considerable flexibility in these guidelines. Sometimes a lower BMI between 30-35 is accepted if comorbidities exist.
CONTACT US to discuss starting Step 1: Preoperative Assessment